Current:Home > InvestPoinbank:No victims found after seven-story building partially collapses in Bronx -Capitatum
Poinbank:No victims found after seven-story building partially collapses in Bronx
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 13:22:16
No victims were found hours after a seven-story residential building in the Bronx partially collapsed Monday afternoon and Poinbankcrews searched through a mountain of rubble, officials said.
Two people suffered minor injuries during evacuation, the fire department said Monday evening. Debris was 12 feet high in some places.
"Miraculously, no one was severely injured at the partial building collapse at 1915 Billingsley Terrace. From looking at the scene and surveillance footage, it could have been so much worse," Fire Commissioner Laura Kavanagh said in a post on X.
The fire department said all people were evacuated from the partially collapsed building at 1915 Billingsley Terrace. The building has 47 residential units and six businesses.
New York police received a call at 3:38 p.m. of a partial building collapse, the department confirmed to USA TODAY. Images showed the corner of the building collapsed, with floors crumbling and dangling and the exterior walls gone.
“Due to an emergency response to a structural collapse, please avoid the area of West Burnside Avenue between Osborne Place and Phelan Place in the Bronx,” New York police said.
A worker at a nearby deli, Julian Rodriguez, said he was behind the counter when he heard people screaming about a building collapse.
“When I went outside, all you could see is the debris and a smoke cloud in the street,” said Rodriguez, 22. “And you could see inside the structure: people’s beds, their doors, closets, lights, everything. It was really scary.”
Residents were being directed to a school to get help, and the city was parking buses near the building as a place to stay warm.
James Oddo, commissioner of the New York City Department of Buildings said at a news briefing Monday the building owner last submitted a report in March 2021, which found unsafe conditions, including cracked bricks and deteriorating mortar.
Oddo said there were currently seven violations, but they were not structural. Work was being done on the building a few days ago. Oddo noted the building did have an active permit, but drawings had been submitted to pull it.
“We’re tunneling into that debris pile as safely as we can,” Hodgens said. “Firefighters right now are in a dangerous position. We don’t know what caused this corner of this building to come down. We don’t know if any of it is going to come down.”
Contributing: Associated Press
veryGood! (8932)
Related
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- How Arie Luyendyk and Lauren Burnham Became One of The Bachelor’s Most Surprising Success Stories
- Kevin Hart reveals what he'd like to change about comedy in 2024: 'It's all opinion'
- Why Emma Stone Applies to Be a Jeopardy! Contestant Every Year
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Fruit Stripe Gum and Super Bubble chewing gums are discontinued, ending their decades-long runs
- Michigan woman opens her lottery app, sees $3 million win pending: 'I was in shock!'
- China says experts cracked Apple AirDrop encryption to prevent transmission of inappropriate information
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Fruit Stripe Gum farewell: Chewing gum to be discontinued after half a century
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Coco Gauff enters the Australian Open as a teenage Grand Slam champion. The pressure is off
- The Excerpt podcast: Can abandoned coal mines bring back biodiversity to an area?
- Dozens of Kenyan lawyers protest what they say is judicial interference by President Ruto
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- US Virgin Islands announces it will build its first artificial reef to protect itself from storms
- 'A lie': Starbucks sued over claims about ethically sourced coffee and tea
- Stacked bodies and maggots discovered at neglected Colorado funeral home, FBI agent says
Recommendation
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Ariana Madix Details Rollercoaster Journey From Scandoval to Broadway Debut
Coco Gauff enters the Australian Open as a teenage Grand Slam champion. The pressure is off
Post-pandemic burnout takes toll on U.S. pastors: I'm exhausted all the time
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Dozens of Kenyan lawyers protest what they say is judicial interference by President Ruto
FAA says it is investigating Boeing over Alaska Airlines' mid-air blowout
North Korea to welcome Russian tourists in February, the country’s first since the pandemic